Working under the direction of the California Student Aid Commission, the California Student Opportunity and Access Program (Cal-SOAP) has represented the educational community throughout the state since 1978. The program is operated in partnership with the University of California system, the California State University system, local non-profit agencies and public elementary and secondary school districts.
The San Diego and Imperial Counties Cal-SOAP Consortium is one of the largest of the sixteen Cal-SOAP consortia throughout the state. In recent years, the consortium has expanded to serve North San Diego County as well as the entire Imperial County area. With this expansion effort, the San Diego and Imperial Counties Consortium offers a broad range of services tailored specifically to serve both urban and rural populations in one central and two satellite locations.
All of the other 13 Consortia are as follows:
- Central Coast Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Central Valley Cal-SOAP
- East Bay Consortium Cal-SOAP
- Long Beach Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Los Angeles, Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Merced County Office of Education
- Northcoast Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Sacramento Cal-SOAP Consortium
- San Francisco Cal-SOAP Consortium
- San Jose Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Santa Barbara Cal-SOAP Consortium
- South County Cal-SOAP Consortium
- Southern San Joaquin Valley Cal-SOAP